Tuesday 14 July 2009

SEBASTIAN FAULK



We are glad to be able to offer you books by Sebastian Faulk, who writes mostly on human drama. His first novel, A Trick of the Light, was published in 1984; Faulks was 31 at the time and was finding writing hard-going, as he said:

“I found it extremely difficult to get going as a novelist. When I wrote A Trick of the Light, I'd already written two novels and I thought if I can't get this one published, that's it. I've given it my best shot, but it's over. However, it wasn't until my next book, The Girl at the Lion d'Or, that I began to feel confident. In a way it seemed perverse that I should write a book set in a foreign country in a different period, which had a female main character, but actually it was very liberating for me”

In 1989 he published the first of his ‘French trilogy’, The Girl at the Lion d'Or. This was followed by the second book, Birdsong (1993), which has sold more than 3 million copies worldwide and came 13th in the BBC's Big Read initiative which aimed to identify Britain's best loved novels.

Faulks said in an interview, “ I wrote it very fast - in six months - and felt absolutely fired up while I was doing it. I'd work for about three or four hours in the morning and then I'd go off in the afternoon to do some research at the Imperial War Museum. Sometimes I was only just keeping ahead of myself. But every time I stepped into the void, something just seemed to materialise under my foot.”

The trilogy was completed with Charlotte Gray (1998) which was made into a movie in 2002 directed by Gillian Armstrong and starring Cate Blanchett. On Green Dolphin Street was published in 2001, and in 2005 Faulks published his most ambitious novel, Human Traces, described by Sir Trevor Nunn in The Independent as "a masterpiece, one of the great novels of this or any other century".

His most recent novel is Engleby (2007).

Faulks has written a new novel called A Week in December which follows the lives of four characters in London, including a city banker, a driver on the Circle Line of the London underground and a pickle maker.

Please email us at bangibookseller@yahoo.co.uk for further enquiries... Please also check our older posts to read about other books we have on offer, including hardcover Harry Potter books....

Thank for visiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment